Part 2: Short-Answer. Answer these questions in 2 to 4 complete sentences, more or less. Be concise and precise, but write in full, grammatical sentences (avoid fragments). Avoid vagueness and info-dumping—answer just what the question asks, rather than writing everything you know about the topic(not a good strategy). Strive for clarity. CAUTION: Answers must be in your voice, explained in your own words. If detected, copying/pasting from the Powerpoints and swapping out synonyms will not get full credit.
Total points possible: 20
1) Worth 6 points: Why does Montaigne think that whether someone had a good life is something that can’t be judged until their last day? A complete answer 1) explainsMontaigne’s conception of death, 2) why the final day is important to Montaigne, and 3) what this has to do with the good life.
2) Worth 6 points: Marx explains 4 ways that capitalism alienates workers. Describe 2 ways in which Marx thinks workers are alienated under capitalism. A complete answer 1) describes what alienation is in general, then 2) explains 2 ways in which capitalism creates alienation for workers, and 3) for each of these, explains what is wrong about it.
3) Worth 8 points: In your own words, define moral schizophrenia as discussed by Stephen Gardiner then give an example of it. A complete answer 1) defines the idea of moral schizophrenia [2pts], 2) explains why it is “schizophrenic” [2pts], 3) provides an original example of this phenomenon [2pts] and, finally, 4) includes an explanation why/what it is an example of the phenomenon [2pts].
1) Worth 4 possible points: Is the following argument valid? Explain your answer. (Remember that the definition of validity is that if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. In evaluating this argument, it is also useful to consider the type of claims each of them is.)
Premise: Human beings are by nature selfish.
Conclusion: Therefore, we should act selfishly.
2) Worth 6 possible points: According to Amia Srinivasan, why does effective altruism require the wrong thing from us? Use an example to explain your answer. For full answer, you must 1) explain how effective altruism works and what it requires, 2) use a relevant example (either from the reading or the ppts on the topic, or an original one), and 3) explain what is required by EA in the example and why this is the wrong kind of thing to require.